Welcome to the Deming Luna County Board of REALTORS®.
Our membership includes real estate Brokers and affiliates who come together to ensure a healthy real estate market and to protect private property rights. We are REALTOR® professionals helping consumers achieve their dream of homeownership.
Any questions you may contact our 2017 Board President, Frank L Christensen at 575-544-4450 or 575-494-4741
When you are looking for a real estate professional, it is wise to work with a member of the National Association of REALTORS® who is committed to maintaining the professionalism of the real estate business.
If you’re entering the real estate market for the first time, you may find real estate professionals’ various titles a little confusing. Sometimes consumers use these titles interchangeably, but there are some important differences between the roles of the various professionals, as well as different requirements for using particular titles.
About Real Estate Professionals
The real estate profession is regulated by state governments, which have different requirements for earning a license. In general, though, the titles you may come across include:
- In New Mexico all real estate licensees are called Brokers.
- Qualifying broker: A person who has taken education beyond the associate broker level as required by state laws and has met the licensing requirements by law. Qualifying brokers can work alone or they can hire associate brokers to work for them.
- Associate broker: Someone who has taken education classes and earned an associates broker’s license and works under the management of a qualifying broker.
- REALTOR®: A real estate agent/broker who is a member of the National Association of REALTORS®, which means that he or she must uphold the standards of the association and its code of ethics.
- In other states, anyone who takes a course, passes a real estate exam and earns a real estate license and may be known as a Real Estate Agent/Salesperson. State requirements vary, but in all states you must take a minimum number of classes and pass a test to earn your license.
- To apply for an Associate broker you must have completed the 36-hour pre-licensing courses in Real Estate Principles and Practice, Real Estate Law, and Broker Basics and pass the broker’s examination. You will also be required to submit a DPS finger print, submit an errors and omissions insurance certificate and pay the $270 licensing fee.
- Prior to being issued a Qualifying broker’s license, an applicant must document that their associate broker’s or equivalent license has been on active status with a real estate brokerage for two of the last five years immediately preceding their application to become a qualifying broker, and must provide a certificate of completion of the Commission-approved 36-hour Brokerage Office Administration course.
- All active and inactive associate brokers and qualifying brokers shall successfully complete thirty (36) credit hours of continuing education in courses approved by the commission during each 3-year licensing cycle. ( to include 4 hour NMREC Core Couse annually and 4 hour Ethics within the 3 license period ) , All active qualifying brokers are required to successfully complete a six (6) hour qualifying broker refresher course as a condition of license renewal or as a condition of reinstatement of qualifying broker status.
What is a REALTOR®?
A REALTOR® is a member of the National Association of REALTORS®. As such, a REALTOR® must subscribe to a Code of Ethics. The Code of Ethics is strictly enforced, and contains 17 Articles and various underlying Standards of Practice that imposes duties above and in addition to those imposed by state law or regulation.
Boards and associations of REALTORS® are responsible for enforcing the Code of Ethics. Including: grievance, hearing panel, mediation and arbitration. If you believe that a REALTOR® has violated one or more Articles of the Code of Ethics, you can file an ethics complaint alleging a violation(s) through the local board/association of REALTORS® where the REALTOR® holds membership, or participates in a REALTOR® association-owned/operated MLS.